Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Little bottle of vitamin D

Little One is given vitamin D drops every day (the national recommendation is 10 micrograms / day). Each time the tiny bottle is about to finish, I get annoyed. There is always remains on the bottom of the bottle, that doesn´t come out, no matter how vigorously I shake it. The stuff costs at least 1476 € / liter, so there is a price tag for each drop!

This product includes lactic acid bacteria, and one bottle lasts about 4 weeks. Somebody might say, that it would be cheaper to care ones stomach by eating oatmeal instead. And buy cheaper vitamins. But Little One has used these drops since he was two weeks old and never any stomach problems. So we are not going to change it.

Could there be a way to tackle this problem? I tried to remove the plastic pieces: the ring around the neck and the piece that aids the liquid out of the bottle neatly drop by drop. First I tried with a sturdy kitchen knife. Way too heavy and sharp equipment for this operation - please don´t try! But an ordinary table  knife (not sharp) did the trick. And it was possible to trickle more liquid out, for about a week´s use.

How much do I save by doing this? I get one more week in addition to the original four weeks. One bottle bought in a two-bottle package costs 11,07 € / 4 weeks. Price of a week is thus about 2,75 €. This operation gives me 10 weeks more in a year, so the annual savings will be 27,50 €. I think this makes sense, especially when the time needed was less than a minute :)



Best wishes,
Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment